top of page


The Long-Term Resident visa is aimed at a very special and narrow category of individuals. It includes people with Japanese ancestry (Nikkei), Indochinese refugees, spouses and children of Japanese nationals remaining in China after World War II, or applicants who are divorced from Japanese nationals subject to the fulfillment of certain conditions.


Holders of this visa are permitted to engage in all types of work, with no restrictions on work type or working hours (or may choose not to work if being supported or if there are other means of supporting his/her living). However, visa extension is still required for this kind of visa, which makes a big difference from the "Permanent Resident" status.


Under this visa, it is possible to apply for permanent residency earlier than work visa holders.

Criteria & Requirements

Applicants in the following special situations may be able to obtain a Long-Term Resident visa:


1. Refugees per the United Nations Convention relating to the Status of Refugees

2. Indochinese refugee settlers

3. Second and Third generation Japanese settlers (Nikkei. See below for more information)

4. Grandchildren of Japanese nationals

5. Spouses of those holding Long Term Resident with a period of stay excessing one year

6. Unmarried minor children of parents who are one of the following:

- Japanese national

- Spouse or child of a Japanese national

- Permanent Resident

- Spouse or child of an individual holding Permanent Resident

- Long Term Resident holder with more than one year of Period of Stay

- Special Permanent Resident holder


7. Adopted children who are under six years old and whose parents are one of the following:

- Japanese national

- Permanent Resident

- Long Term Resident holder with more than one year of Period of Stay

- Special Permanent Resident holders

Who are qualified as "Nikkei" ?

Nikkei (日系) is a Japanese and American English term used in parts of the world such as South America and North America to specify the children or grand-children (second and third generation) born to Japanese people in the new country. They are mainly descendants of their Japanese ancestry who have ever emigrated abroad from Japan. Most of them lives in the Pacific rim countries, including the Hawaiian Islands, Guam, the Philippines, Indonesia and mostly South American countries such as Peru, Bolivia, Brazil, Argentine, etc.


Because they are related to Japanese ancestry by blood, they may live and work comparatively freely in Japanese society. However, because they are still holding Dual Natonality, they still have to apply for their own visa or status of residence if they wish to legally live and work in Japan.

Period of Stay

Period of Stay in each case shall be designated by the Immigration Office. The period must be either of 5 years, 4 years, 3 years, 1 year and 6 months.


If you wish to stay more years under the same Status of Residence you already have, you can apply for renewing your visa 2 months before the expiration of the period of stay.

Necessary documents for the application

Necessary documents to apply for the Permanent Residency differs from you situation. Each case is different and the Immigration Bureau might ask different documents for each person. If you use our services at Minori Legal Consulting Office, we will meet you for a first interview (free of charge) and better understanding of your situation, and tell you exactly what documents and information would be necessary for the application, and what would make the procedure smoother.

But basically, the minimum documents that may be required for a Long-Term Resident visa are as follows:

● A copy of the family registration, marriage certificate, birth certificate, and other documents that certify the status of the Applicant.

● Documents certifying that the Applicant will be able to meet all expenses associated with their stay in Japan. In cases where such expenses will be paid by another person, documents certifying the income of that person.

● A letter of guarantee from the person living in Japan.

- Any certificate among supporting documents has to be issued within 3 months before the date of application.

- Additional documents may be required during the examination of Immigration Office.

Contact us now.
​The first consultation is FREE of charge!
bottom of page